Hotellier jailed for fire safety breaches
June 16, 2014
A Walsall hotelier was handed down a 12-month jail sentence for eight life-threatening fire breaches in his 33-bed hotel.
The failings included:
- A fire exit blocked by mattresses
- Faulty fire alarms
- An obstructed landing
- Faulty emergency lighting
- No fire detection in the basement, which contained flammable materials
In 2009 Wolverhampton fire officers also found:
- No proper fire risk assessment
- Inadequately maintained fire alarms
- No smoke detectors in some bedrooms
- Alarms that could not be heard in all areas
- No staff training
A customer complaint led to the prosecution.
If you have neglected your obligations to fire safety legislation then contact us today and see how we can help you.
Posted by WFST in Fire Safety